Immigration, Citizenship, Green card, Asylum, work permit, H1B Visa, L1, F1, J1 Visa, Family law, Employment Visa

Family-Based Immigration

If you want to become a lawful permanent resident (LPR) based on the fact that you have a relative who is a citizen of the United States or is a lawful perma3676079982_027881a8abnent resident, your relative in the United States  will need to sponsor you and prove he/she has enough income or assets to support you when you are in the United States. Your relative sponsor and you, the intending immigrant, must successfully complete certain steps in the immigration process in order to come to the United States.

Here are the key steps:

  • The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must approve an immigrant visa petition, I-130 Petition for Alien Relative filed by your sponsoring relative for you.
  • Most sponsors will need to demonstrate adequate income or assets to support the intending immigrant, and accept legal responsibility for financially supporting their family member, by completing and signing a document called an Affidavit of Support.
  • The intending immigrant will apply for the immigrant visa.
Contact Us

It’s helpful to know about . . .

Statement from Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano on July 1, 2013:

“After last week’s decision by the Supreme Court holding that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is lesbianGay_8unconstitutional, President Obama directed federal departments to ensure the decision and its implication for federal benefits for same-sex legally married couples are implemented swiftly and smoothly. To that end, effective immediately, I have directed U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to review immigration visa petitions filed on behalf of a same-sex spouse in the same manner as those filed on behalf of an opposite-sex spouse.”